CrowdStrike Falcon Review

Good visibility helps us make educated decisions, easy to scale, helpful threat-response support

What is our primary use case?

We implemented CrowdStrike because we needed to identify a new solution to address a 100% remote workforce, both because of COVID, but in general, our workforce is very distributed around the country.

How has it helped my organization?

The primary way that CrowdStrike has improved the way our organization functions is visibility. When we do have an issue, the ability to see what was happening before, during, and after the issue on the target laptop or server is far better than what we were used to.

Having the updates happening automatically, with a third-party defining those updates and pushing those in, also providing us visibility into the current status of all of our endpoints, is critical.

We use Falcon's endpoint and cloud workload protection, which is deployed on our Azure cloud servers. It is definitely one of the top options available to any organization. We had reviewed 10 different applications in the EDR space and Falcon was one of the top three that we had identified.

In terms of preventing breaches, so far, it's doing great. Definitely, in our testing that we do every month, it is identifying issues that arise with more certainty. Simply, the team has more confidence in what they're utilizing as a tool and it has freed them up to work on things that are a more efficient use of their time.

What is most valuable?

The Protect functionality on the laptops provides great visibility into what's occurring, and the cloud management of the platform is what we needed.

It is important to us that this cloud-native solution provides us with flexibility and always-on protection because we have a 100% distributed workforce, in place even before COVID. To manage 600 remotely-deployed laptops requires a cloud-managed solution.

What needs improvement?

The console is a little cluttered and at times, finding what you're looking for is not intuitive. Once you find it, it's great, but it's not always very intuitive as to how to find exactly what you're looking for sometimes.

I have been using CrowdStrike Falcon for six months.

We have had no issues at all with stability, and no conflicts on any of our endpoints or servers.

It seems to be limitless from a scalability standpoint. Definitely, there would be no impact on our end, and we haven't noticed or run into any issues as we scaled from our initial 10 systems to 600. There was no difference in speed or reporting, et cetera.

So, scalability does not seem to be an issue.

Technical support is an area for improvement. If you have an actual issue, such as an identified threat, then they are very good. However, if you're struggling to figure out what might have occurred, we're still trying to figure out how to get our best support from CrowdStrike in those situations.

Prior to Falcon, we were using Webroot.

The primary improvement that we have seen is visibility. We had no visibility into what happened before, during, and after a situation with Webroot, but with CrowdStrike, we have that visibility, which allows our team to make educated decisions. In terms of detection and prevention, I believe it's all experiential so far. Falcon has been very good at both detection and remediation for any issue that has come up.

The sensor setup and deployment were extremely easy. We were able to deploy a hundred percent of our endpoints within 60 days. We found it to be very smooth.

It was a very simple deployment strategy to get the agent out to the end-users. It was so smooth that we didn't even have to notify the end-users that it was being done. It just happened automatically.

There was no conflict between CrowdStrike and our existing EDR that we were going to get rid of. After the installation, we were able to have the old EDR totally removed within 30 days.

We had two people for deployment and we have one for maintenance. Their roles are in information security.

We have seen ROI in that our team is freed up to work on things that are more important.

We took advantage of Falcon's free trial before purchasing it, and it was very easy to get it. We were on the phone with a representative discussing our next steps and they offered the free trial, and we were set up and functional with it the next morning. Having a free trial period is something that is expected. If anybody wants our business in this space then it's necessary because we aren't going to purchase something without trying it first.

The pricing is not bad. It's on the higher end of the market, but you get what you pay for. It's a little on the confusing side because the name of the item they're selling doesn't match what you see when you log into the product.

If you buy "Protect" and you log into the product, you don't see "Protect". You see something else, like "Identify" or whatever. So, they need to do a better job of aligning product names from the sale to within the product.

There are add-on fees for different packages that you can buy, and we are looking at adding on some feature functionality as we go forward.

We evaluated 10 different solutions in the EDR space. The top three included CrowdStrike Falcon, Carbon Black, and Microsoft's ATP.

CrowdStrike was a little better, cost-wise, than the other two. Also, I felt that the console for managing the platform was easier for my team.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into implementing this product is that every organization is slightly different in its needs, and CrowdStrike may or may not be the right solution. Once you can do a trial and a bake-off of multiple options, you'll find if CrowdStrike is the right solution or not.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More CrowdStrike Falcon reviews from users
...who work at a Energy/Utilities Company
...who compared it with Carbon Black CB Defense
Get Fast and Easy Protection Against All Threats

Protect your organization from all threats - not just malware - even when computers and servers aren’t connected to the internet. Start your free trial and deploy CrowdStrike Falcon within minutes to start receiving full threat protection.

Learn what your peers think about CrowdStrike Falcon. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.