CyberArk Enterprise Password Vault Review

You can control password management. It provides flexibility and security.

Valuable Features

Auditing and control are the most valuable. You can control password management almost to the max, giving you, your users and your auditors great flexibility without compromising security.

The auditing and control is more valuable to the enterprise than to myself. Apparently one of the overseas offices was able to track and identify misuse of a privileged account. In addition, it is heavily used during the periodic user/account recertification process.

Improvements to My Organization

Recertification of accounts and users, whereas previously 100s of accounts reside on devices, targets, applications, etc., now, due to using the vault and recertification, owners are in total control of their accounts and usage. Dual control forces owners to approve access to their safes and usage of passwords. The number of audit points regarding rogue accounts is falling dramatically.

Room for Improvement

Small things such as resizing pop-ups but mainly the reporting possibilities: These are quite poor in my honest opinion. If you really want custom reports you actually need to export data to an Access database and create your own queries and reports. The default reports are just that.

The reporting functionality is currently limited to default reports, listings and overviews. For more detailed and in-depth reports, you need to export the data to an external app such as Access or MS SQL. For example, if you need a report listing all safes, owners, members and accounts (like we do), you need to create a bespoke report. Ideally, in 2016, perhaps a graphic drag & drop reporting interface would be ideal.

Use of Solution

I have been using the product now for a little over four years from the support side.

No stability issues at all; we have a 24/7 standby and have yet to be called out on issues other than locked accounts. These are almost always user-related. We have had no downtime other than planned DR tests.

I have not encountered any scalability issues; we have actually scaled down since the new releases. Where previously we had CPMs & PVWAs throughout the world, we now have load-balanced CPMs and PVWAs in just two locations.

It can take time before you get a solution. Frequently, we have already solved it ourselves. CyberArk is re-arranging its support teams to improve communication with clients and to resolve cases quicker. As there is a release every six months, this might prove to be a challenge.

I did not previously use a different solution.

The vaults are installed on dedicated servers and subsequently hardened in their own dedicated workgroup. In our organization, there was a heavy battle with Server Support, who refused the workgroup setup and demanded that the servers join a/the domain. Do not agree! The servers have to be separate from the general server population and have nothing installed except the vault. Nothing has access, so no MS updates, AV software, etc. It took a while to convince them.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

Other Advice

Do not take it lightly. It takes a lot of hard work to analyse and implement. Involve the entire organization from the start. As you will be working with security teams, you might encounter a certain level of distrust (you are in their domain right?). Involve them, liaise frequently and get everyone onboard.

1 Comment
Orlee GillisConsultant

Are there other SaaS solutions with reporting capabilities that you would hope CyberArk could learn from as an example of a successful model?

13 October 16