CylancePROTECT Review

Proactive AI-based security that scales as we need it

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the security products that we implement for our customers. My biggest customers are two pharmacies and a bank and this makes up part of their security solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We have not had any data breaches. It has found flaws inside of our security procedures that enabled us to close the holes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the AI and ML-based virus protection that does not rely on signature-based detection methods. The way this product works is that it does not go to a central server to pick up the latest virus definitions. Instead, it's a processor-powered search that checks to see if anything out of the ordinary is running on your machine. It looks for anomalies and cancels processes that do not look normal. For example, if a program tries to read the registry and then make a change, but it hasn't been authorized, then it is assumed to be a bad actor and the process is canceled or the action is disallowed.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of false positives and it takes up a lot of time. This is something that should be improved.

I would like to see them fix the alerting system so that the endpoint reporting is a bit more streamlined.

The vendor should be more widely advertising this product because not many people know that these types of solutions exist.

I have been using Cylance for about a year.

The stability is perfect. It is leaps and bounds beyond our previous solution by McAfee.

It is scalable. From what we were told, we're going to keep on adding more licenses. The only thing that we might have to do is increase the capacity of the VM.

We were using McAfee first, and as of last year, we switched to Cylance. McAfee is not a proactive solution. McAfee's support and everything were fine, but the Cylance product is used by the G7 countries the most. The company has a good standing.

Two or three years ago when the WannaCry virus struck, the people that were on Cylance were the ones that weren't affected. That was enough for us to switch.

We engage with Cylance Professional Services, so there was not much need for input from our side. From our point of view, the initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The software is installed on a VM and we have about 70 machines in total. The deployment took about two days.

For my financial client, I was a consultant. They have their own IT team and I acted as the intermediary.

We paid according to the number of endpoints that we have and it was approximately the same that we were paying for McAfee. The monthly fee is $55 USD per user.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think too much about the features when it comes to an antivirus solution, such as this. When you try to combine too much into one product, you end up affecting the product as a whole. If you're a home user then it's great because you only pay once a year and it does everything including the antivirus, firewall, VPN, internet security, and more. However, when you're in an SMB or an SME installation, all of those things are decentralized.

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to switch if you have the money put aside. I would suggest using Professional Services to assist with the migration.

More CylancePROTECT reviews from users