D-Link Ethernet Switches Review

Simple, cheap, and easy to configure, but should be more stable

What is most valuable?

These switches are simple and easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

They could be more stable. They were not as resistant as Cisco. After some time, some of them failed. This could be because we import quite a lot of products from different horizons, so there is no guarantee of quality. In Africa, these products don't always directly come from the manufacturer. We get these products from the Middle East or Asia. Therefore, you cannot be sure that the quality is exactly similar to what you have in Europe or America.

We used these switches for a couple of years.

We had small switches, and they didn't give us much trouble. After some time, some of them failed, but this could be because we import quite a lot of products from different places, so there is no guarantee of quality.

We had 50 users of this solution.

We don't always have a direct representative of these brands in Africa. We have a few companies that import the equipment and sell them, but we don't have the same kind of technical support that you get in Europe, America, or Asia. We rely more on our own technical staff when there are problems.  When we cannot solve a problem, we have to put them aside and buy new equipment.

We are now using Cisco switches. We used the small models of D-Link Ethernet Switches, but they were replaced with Cisco switches. D-Link Ethernet Switches are not as sophisticated and resistant as Cisco switches.

They are easy to install. It takes less than 20 minutes.

They were cheap. We were not paying for any license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend these switches. We choose solutions based on what we have in the market. We don't focus on any specific brand. It depends on factors like the funds available, the trend in the market, and the availability of the product. We don't always have Cisco available in this market, and when that's the case, we may go for some other brand. This is mainly due to the situation of our own computer equipment market. It has been quite some time since I last saw D-Link in the market because we have not been buying switches.

I would rate D-Link Ethernet Switches a seven out of ten.

More D-Link Ethernet Switches reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Ethernet Switches
Find out what your peers are saying about D-Link, Netgear, Cisco and others in Ethernet Switches. Updated: May 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.