D-Link Wireless Review

Stable and easy to install but does not have social media enabled for hotspot capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for our customers, which include schools and special institutions.

In one instance, we handled a university that had multiple touchpoints and a central location broadcasting out. They now have small D-Link wireless access points in both 2.4GB and 5GB. The 5GB is like a backup. The university connects to the 5GB and uses the 2.4GB to advertise to the client. That's just one use case scenario.

What is most valuable?

The solution is extremely easy to install. You just add them and in a few clicks, they are ready to go.

What needs improvement?

We've had issues with the 150MG and 300MB dongles. Users will see there is Wi-Fi and connect. We have to use the D-Link card to supplement the wireless card. The 300MB works okay but the 150MB is not working well for us.

The solution should offer wireless controllers.

The solution needs to add centralized management that could be available on the cloud so that managers can manage it from anywhere in the world.

The solution doesn't have hotspots. Users can't set it up so that visitors can log in via Facebook or social media as they can at, for example, airports. D-Link should include hotspots that offer integration with social media. That way, visitors don't need to be asking people for passwords. They can just use Facebook.

I've been using the solution for seven to eight years at this point.

The solution is quite stable. Our clients haven't mentioned any bugs or glitches.

The solution is scalable.

We've never contacted technical support, so I can't speak to how they are.

The initial setup is super straightforward. It's truly just a few clicks and it's ready to go. Deployment, however, could involve switches or firewalls as well, so it usually takes two weeks because there are so many other moving parts. It's not related to D-Link per se, because the wireless is another segment of the network. However, if you are talking about general infrastructure, of which D-Link is a part, it's about two weeks.

There are sometimes three or four people involved in the implementation process.

The maintenance is always done by the clients. We deploy and then we are hands-off. We don't normally have a problem with support on D-Link. Customers don't normally complain about services or have issues.

We normally deploy the solution ourselves.

I'm not sure what sort of licenses our clients set up with the vendor. I'm not aware of any additional costs beyond the license itself.

What other advice do I have?

I don't personally use the solution, but I use it for my clients.

The solution is stable once you install it, however, I would advise companies to use a wireless controller like Cisco or Aruba once it is deployed. In terms of the deployment process, it's great.

I'd rate it seven out of ten.

More D-Link Wireless reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN
Find out what your peers are saying about D-Link, Huawei, Aruba Networks and others in Wireless LAN. Updated: May 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.