Darktrace Review

Good detection capability and reduces our team's effort, but there should be more visibility at the endpoint level and less effort in fine-tuning

What is our primary use case?

I'm currently heading cybersecurity for 1,500 entities. Some of them have deployed Vectra, and some of them have deployed Darktrace. Darktrace has been in the UK market for a while, whereas Vectra is a not-so-old player in the UK market.

We are using the latest version of Darktrace but not their latest offering. They are now also providing email security over the Darktrace platform, but we have not been utilizing that. We have been utilizing their network detection and response and some part of automated incident response (IR) capability.

We have a hybrid infrastructure. Some centers are deployed in the cloud, and some centers are deployed on-prem. The management platform is currently on-prem, but the plan is to move it to SaaS.

What is most valuable?

In terms of features, the data or information they collect and unsupervised machine learning are very valuable. Its unsupervised machine learning has reduced our team's effort. Both Darktrace and Vectra work on unsupervised machine learning that learns the behavior or develops a profile on its own, which allows our security team to do some other tasks rather than spending time on Darktrace or Vectra.

Because of unsupervised machine learning, its detection capability is quite good. Along with that, if we utilize the integration feature properly, the automated incident response capability of Darktrace is quite useful.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvements, fine-tuning is the area where we have to spend some time because it works on unsupervised machine learning. It would be good if they can improve their algorithm or technical functionality to reduce the fine-tuning effort.

They can also come up with something at the endpoint level. So far, Darktrace has been a network detection response (NDR) solution. It does not offer much at the endpoint level or on user-client devices or servers. There should be more visibility at the endpoint level. It would be good to have the detection and response at the endpoint level by Darktrace.

It should also have integration with an agile environment so that we can have continuous development and continuous integration in the application development environment. This is currently not there. It should also have internet-facing platform visibility, which is currently missing.

They also need to improve the reporting and management dashboards. Currently, these are not so easy for a non-technical person. All these features would make Darktrace much better, and they would also be helpful in selling more solutions.

I have been using this solution for maybe six or seven years. At my previous workplace, we were one of the early adopters of Darktrace's unsupervised machine learning technology.

Its stability is fine. We are utilizing a mix of their deployment capability. We have appliance-based and sensor-based deployments. Performance-wise, sensor-based ones are slower than appliance-based ones. An appliance also has dedicated hardware.

In terms of scalability, it is fine. We have deployed Darktrace for around 7,000 to 8,000 users for one part of an entity, and it has been working fine. I don't see any issue in terms of its scalability.

Currently, it has around 7,000 to 8,000 users, but it is getting extended. We are in the process of extending the Darktrace capability to other entities. We are talking about 1,500 entities and 120,000 users in different dispersed and segregated environments.

They've been quite okay in their responses. This solution is definitely complex, so sometimes we don't get the expected level of information or answer straight away, but they have been okay in responding and following up. I would rate them a seven out of ten.

From the initial deployment perspective, it was quite straightforward. We just need to make some configuration changes and then Darktrace works on spanning. It gets a copy of all the data from the network, and it starts building the profile. It has a pretty straightforward deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Darktrace a seven out of ten. It is a good solution, but it requires some improvements.

More Darktrace reviews from users
...who compared it with Vectra AI
Learn what your peers think about Darktrace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.