Darktrace Review

Easy to use with an intuitive dashboard, powerful AI, and inbuilt data packet analysis

What is most valuable?

Once installed, it starts picking up and learning the network very well because it's got a powerful AI integrated into it.

The user interface is very intuitive.

The Dynamic Threat Dashboard is very nice, as it lists all of your threats and rates them, and then you can choose whether to investigate further.

This solution has some good features for customization in terms of how you're tagging your network, which basically makes it easier to identify what is actually happening. You can see where the traffic is going, where it is coming from, and that sort of thing.

Darktrace has quite a few inbuilt features such as its own packet analysis module, which is an offshoot of Wireshark.

This solution has some powerful APIs, although we do not use that functionality at the moment.

What needs improvement?

This is quite an expensive product so the pricing is something that can be improved.

I have been using Darktrace for between two and three years.

We've seen no major problems between the master and slave devices in our architecture.

Darktrace is definitely scalable. We started off with a single device monitoring a single site and we progressively added more sites with different devices in a master/slave architecture. The more we've added, we've had to re-think a little bit, but overall the scalability is excellent.

We have ten security analysts who are using this solution.

The Darktrace technical support is very good.

We started off with Darktrace. It was based on a decision from somebody in the business who had previously used it.

Personally, I have used a few other solutions and with respect to the interface, you probably couldn't get more intuitive than Darktrace.

Darktrace is very easy to set up. Even our basic technical people are able to do it. It's almost like plug and play. There is some basic configuration to do, but it's nothing major.

I would say that most technical people can do the majority of the setup.

We were granted access to all of the documentation and information from Darktrace, so we did the implementation ourselves. There may have been one or two areas that we had to go back to Darktrace directly to get clarification on, but there was no third-party partner or reseller involved.

What other advice do I have?

We're very pleased with Darktrace so it is a bit difficult to pinpoint areas for improvement. It covers all of our needs and from what I can see, it does the basics very well. There are many advanced features, also.

This is a solution that I definitely recommend. It offers a proof of value rather than a proof of concept, where they run the tool in your network, let it learn and then catch any vulnerabilities. Then you will actually see the value of the solution, either potentially blocking any exploitive threats or not, but its a really good thing to go through. To do this, I think that you have to go through an actual partner unless you're in a location where Darktrace has a physical office. In any event, I strongly recommend going through the proof of value to see if you like it. If there is a charge then it is definitely worth it.

More Darktrace reviews from users
...who compared it with Vectra AI
Learn what your peers think about Darktrace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.