DataCore SANsymphony SDS Review

The better features are the synchronous replication and the management console

What is our primary use case?

• We use DataCore SANsymphony as our primary storage solution replicated on two hosts since October 2012. In July 2018, we dispatched them to the two server rooms.
  • Each DataCore node consists of a server and two storage bays connected in SAS.
  • We use this SAN to store our VMware datastore (300 virtual machines) for our 10 ESXi servers.
  • Each server is connected to storage via two fiber channel links 8Gbps.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we had some Windows and Linux servers with direct-attached storage. Our server's farm increases faster than our server room. So, we thought about virtualizing our applications. We chose to use VMware ESXi and DataCore SANsymphony to create our new infrastructure and then began to deploy our infrastructure on one server room. Then in 2018, we chose to dispatch them for more security in two server rooms.

What is most valuable?

• The better features are the synchronous replication and the management console.
  • The synchronous replication gives us the ability to make business continuity planning.
  • I like the management console which is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

DataCore is currently working with Veeam software for a better integration; this is my only desired missing feature today.

With this feature, Veeam do a snapshot on Virtual Machine, then snapshot the storage.
When storage snapshot is done, Veeam remove the Virtual Machine snapshot to avoid long period snapshot.
With a VMware snapshot period smaller, consolidate will be faster and production will be less impacted.
Then Veeam save VMs directly from storage snapshot without VM performance impact.

When Backup Job is done, veeam ask to Datacore to remove Storage snapshot without any VM interruption or impact performance.

More than five years.