Datadog Review

Provides seamless monitoring, increases visibility, and optimizes the time spent on monitoring and management activities, but needs an artificial intelligence component

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring and instrumentation of security. We secure our databases and servers. It is typically for the security of apps, services, and systems. We are using its latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced some challenges, and it has optimized the time spent on monitoring and management activities. It has improved the visualization and the ability to monitor and control.

Datadog increases our visibility. It puts all the data in one log so that we can use that log in a contextual manner. Some operational optimizations definitely have happened with this solution. In general, the user community is happier than before. We are basically asking them every quarter how happy they are on a scale of zero to five. That needle has moved but not significantly. If it was 3 earlier, it is still less than 3.5 now, but the user experience is better than before.

Because of this monitoring, we are empowered to publish certain dashboards for the business folks as well. We have three to five senior business folks who are looking at their investments and operations optimization. They are basically putting money on the table for this.

What is most valuable?

Its integration definitely stands out. It provides seamless monitoring of all our systems, services, apps, and whatever else we secure and monitor.

Visualizations have become simpler with dashboards. We are getting visibility into systems, services, and apps stack through a single pane of glass, which is good. We are able to put logs in context.

What needs improvement?

It can have an artificial intelligence component. Even though I can seamlessly look at end-to-end security, it would be better to have alerts and notifications powered by an AI engine. I am not sure if they have an AI component. We have not reached out to them or looked at it, but this is something that I keep on talking about within our company in terms of features. Such a feature would be good to have, and it would further optimize my Security Ops team's abilities.

I have been using this solution for almost six months now.

It is stable. There is nothing critical about it. I've not heard of any significant issues in terms of operating this solution in the last six months.

We have only been using it for six months, and we haven't scaled it. Six months are nothing for such a solution.

We do monitoring as a service, and we have a hundred team members in the team. There are between 30 to 50 users who actively use it in some way.

We had Carbon Black. We didn't switch from Carbon Black to Datadog. Datadog was something different because of the visualization capability and bringing everything together. We acquired a couple of companies, and Datadog was being purchased. We just validated the purchase specification, features, and assessments. It was not a one-on-one sort of exchange of Carbon Black with Datadog.

It was easier than what we had been using in the past. It is a SaaS-based solution, and it was supposed to be a straightforward setup.

It is too early for that. I have not yet seen the impact on my budgetary lines or process optimization. I had ten people in my Security Ops team earlier, and I still have ten people. They are definitely happier as users than before, but what does that give to the organization is not yet clear to me.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Datadog a seven out of ten. It is too early to say whether we are getting our money's worth, but we have felt the difference in terms of optimization and user experience.

Private Cloud
More Datadog reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with New Relic APM
Learn what your peers think about Datadog. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.