Datadog Review

We have a better grasp of what is occurring during the deployment cycle

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor our infrastructure, particularly our different EC2 instances, and our containers. We also use it to capture our logs.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a better grasp of what is occurring during the deployment cycle. If something fails, we have an idea what has failed, where it has failed, and how it failed to better mitigate the situation.

What is most valuable?

It is a good one stop location where we keep all our data for our infrastructure, and it's also easier to navigate between different things.

What needs improvement?

We want to reduce having to go to different screens to obtain all the information. However, they are moving in the right direction from what we have noticed.

Less than one year.

Stability has never been an issue. We throw all of our servers and containers at it. We have now started to throw our on-premise logs at it too.

At the beginning, when we started throwing logs at it, there was a bit of hiccup. However, this was during their beta period, so hiccups were expected.

It pretty much vacuums up any information that we throw at it. So, stability hasn't been an issue.

It scales depending on the time of year. Right now, we have about 25 to 50 instances, and in each instance there are probably five different containers, not including logging for all those containers.

We used their technical support, especially during rollout. They were really good. We worked hand in hand to try to figure out how to configure everything.

For the monitoring of different EC2 instances, you install them into Datadog

We use Chef to install Datadog's package, then that calls out all the information from the instance.

We did evaluate other vendors.

We chose Datadog because we were looking for an all-in-one package. They also do log caching and integrate with other systems well.

What other advice do I have?

Take advantage of Datadog's trial period, and really beat it up, then give them a call.

We use the web service for this product.