Datadog Review

The ingestion points are unlimited and support customization. We would like the averages of average issue to be fixed.

What is our primary use case?

• Monitoring
  • Analytics
  • Tracing
  • APM

What is most valuable?

It's hosted. We don't have to do it, and they handle a large amount of data with backups and all of the other things that we no longer have to manage.

What needs improvement?

There are things about it that we would like to be fixed, such as it is taking averages of average. This results in data that we don't expect, but overall we are happy with it.

Three to five years.

It is incredibly stable.

We have had no issues with scalability.

We have needed technical support because we were dealing with averages of averages.

The integration and configuration are incredibly simple. The SaaS offering is remarkably easy to set up, especially if you're coming from a Graphite environment or anything that uses a StatsD. Datadog is a custom StatsD client, and it adds additional functionality, like tags, etc. However, out-of-the-box should work with native StatsD, so it is incredibly easy to drop in replace if you are using StatsD for metrics.

In terms of employee time: While the instructor costs were transferred to Datadog, it freed up our engineers to work on things which were of valuable to our business rather than maintaining a service that we don't make money on.

It costs the same amount it would if we were hosting it ourselves, so we are incredibly happy with the cost.

We did look at several vendors. What it came down to is we did not want to manage the metric services ourselves anymore, and Datadog matched what it cost for us to host it ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

Check out Datadog. It is awesome.

The ingestion points are unlimited and support customization. We haven't had anything yet that we haven't been able to integrate with it.

We have only used the SaaS offering, but not AWS nor on-premise.