Datto Cloud Continuity Review

Good pricing, easy to scale, and backs up locally and to the cloud.

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a server backup/disaster recovery.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides reliable backup protection locally and in the cloud.  It also offers sandboxing that allows updates and SQL queries to be tested outside the production environment.

What is most valuable?

The pricing is very good. Our plan allows for unlimited cloud storage.

The solution backs up locally and to the cloud with easy to manage schedules.

Performing basic restores of documents is fast and easy.

Restoring a server as a local virtualization which allows servers to be tested and worked with in a sandbox.  I haven't had to restore a server to production yet but at least the sandbox testing allows me to confirm that the backups are working and available if needed.

Right now, it's doing everything and more than what we expected.  I'm kind of cynical so I would say nothing's perfect, however, so far it's been the perfect fit for us.

What needs improvement?

We don't really need any extra features, I've already got more than what I expected out of it.

We haven't experienced any issues with our solution but we have not encountered any real issues to push it to its limits.

I can access my local backups but I cannot access my cloud backups directly.  I would need to contact my MSP and have them access data in the cloud.

We've had the solution for about a year.

So far it has been perfectly stable with no concerns.

We have increased our local storage capacity once already and it was quickly handled by our MSP working with Datto. This involved a one time charge for the local storage increase and small increase in our monthly bill for the increased cloud storage.  We will be able to increase our storage capacity one more time before we will need a larger or additional device.

We've only got three physical and two virtual servers.  You just install the agent on whatever you want backed up.  Basically you're only constrained by local storage capacity and what you want to pay for.  Internet bandwidth was not an issue for us but might be a concern for others.

Any questions/issues are directed to our MSP and if needed they will work with Datto.

We were using backup to disk software that was 6 years old and required hard drives to be switched out daily and taken off site. It did not support newer server operating systems or provide cloud storage.  We considered upgrading to a newer version of the software, but Datto allowed for a local backup onsite for quick data restores and the cloud backup for safety.  This met our storage needs and eliminated the hassle of switching out hard drives.  The disaster recovery features of spinning up servers locally or in the cloud and being able to test things in a sandbox where just icing on the cake.

This was handled by our MSP since Datto only sells through MSP partnerships.  It was very straightforward and took little time for the Datto to be configured.

The Datto was configured and installed by our MSP and they did a great job throughout the process and answering questions after.

Peace of mind is the main benefit.  Having options to recover data or spin up servers locally or in the cloud in the event of hardware or malware issues would cover all our fixed and monthly costs.

We purchased our Datto through our MSP which is required since Datto only work with MSP partners.

Cost is based on the size of the device and monthly cost is based on the backup plan and amount of data stored in the cloud.

There is no licensing or restrictions on the number of backup agents installed or if the agents are installed on servers or workstations.

We looked at Carbonite, Veeam, and Azure as well as some local only backup solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Our Datto was been the perfect fit for us.

It is easy to monitor and work with if desired but it can also also be managed completely by your MSP.  I am on ours weekly or so for sandbox testing but hardly ever for backup/recovery.

Overall, I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud