Dell EMC Avamar Review

Stability has improved since we first started using it, but it still has a ways to go and could also benefit from a web-based UI

What is our primary use case?

File level, backup and recovery of data stored on AIX, Linux, and Windows server to Data Domain storage.

How has it helped my organization?

The product works. It does, however, require a significant amount of handholding from support. The support is good, but we should not have to reach out to them so often.

What is most valuable?

File level, SQL Server and NDMP (NetApp) backups. Both backup and recovery work well for all three types of data.

What needs improvement?

• Stability has improved since we first started using it, but it still has a ways to go. The systems also collect metadata that builds over time. It will build until it cannot build anymore and fills up your nodes. I have plenty of space on my Data Domain, but I'm running out of space on the nodes due to metadata creep.
  • It could also benefit from a web-based UI. The Java UI is clunky at best.

More than five years.

7.5.1
More Dell EMC Avamar reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with Commvault
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC Avamar. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.