Dell EMC Data Domain Boost Review

Extremely stable, very easy to scale, and very good deduplication compression ratio

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an SQL backup. We also use the DD Boost protocol.

What is most valuable?

The extreme stability of the solution, as well as the deduplication compression ratio, are the most valuable aspects for our organization.

What needs improvement?

There is nothing that's very difficult about this product right now. However, the GUI can use some improvement. When I compare Cohesity and Data Domain, I think Cohesity is more user friendly. In terms of Data Domain, the restored items should be converted from the Rockwell SQL end. That is the one thing which puts me off being a Data Domain administrator. I should have the authority to restore whatever comes to my end. I should get that capability as an admin. Being an admin, I need to be able to restore the things from my end rather than waiting.

We have been using this solution at our company for three and a half years so far. However, I personally have had experience working with the product for the last 15 or 16 years.

We find the solution to be extremely stable.

The solution is quite scalable. An organization shouldn't have any problem expanding if they use this solution.

Our company extensively uses this solution. We did have issues with upgrading and we had to call back the Dell EMC team to assist.

For now, we have plans on expanding depending on the amount of storage we receive from our Cohesity box. We're still a very small team of three.

We are planning to have it on data center locations as well, but it is still in the planning stage so there are plenty of products that will be brought on later in the data center rooms so we can implement that in my own department.

Technical support is okay but could be improved. I've sent a lot of complaints their way and I feel like they might be able to respond a bit better.

Everything around DSM, an IDM tool, was pretty complex in terms of handling the Rockwell SQL backup. When we migrated over to Data Domain, it's much easier for us to switch and work on that.

It took around six to eight months to make it into the production and do the deployment.

We needed a consultant. They had an SQL background as well. It was kind of 60/40 split in labor. 60% was work from our side. Then we got back to them and they gave us a calling order to assist.

We're always evaluating other options. Right now we're comparing this solution to Cohesity. We've learned, however, that Data Domain is much more scalable than Cohesity, so we are not likely to switch to them.

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with EMC. We're just customers.

Data Domain, on a scale out of ten, I would give an eight due to the amount of compression and data retention it offers. It's very stable as an infrastructure for backup, and we can use it as a storage as well.

I'd advise other organizations to do some comparisons with other solutions, however, and especially look into scalability and how that might affect their decisions. They should also do their homework to find out things like how soon it's possible to restore an item.

More Dell EMC Data Domain Boost reviews from users