Dell EMC Data Domain Boost Review

Compresses our data storage and is user-friendly and easy to maintain

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to compress our data storage and as a data backup environment. We only store our data for two weeks, so in a two-week period, for the volume of data as well as our mixed types of data, we get the best cost per terabyte stored on Data Domain.

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable is the ease of installation and the ease of maintenance, more than the functionality. I like the toolset, it's easy to work on and the support is brilliant.

What needs improvement?

My experience is that the fact that they give you certain toolsets based on certain modules only makes it difficult for us to save costs due to upgrading. So it would be nice if they could have the same toolset right from the smallest to the biggest modules, but being specific frame-dependent. The toolset itself does whatever I currently want.

I have been using this solution for longer than five years now.

The solution is very stable and I haven't had any issues with that so far.

I can't say that we had any issues in terms of either performance or capacity. This solution transports data between the client and the Data Domain. I would obviously like to have a better way to federate the Data Domains together as one, but that's not really possible.

We have about ten people working on data protection. With Boost I've never had issues where we couldn't pump or dump data though in time, or that there were reliability issues, so I think the solution is scalable.

The technical support is one of the biggest reasons for choosing EMC products, or staying with them. There was a slight wobble when Dell got into the picture, but I think they've sorted that out now, so now we are happy again.

The initial setup was straightforward. Our installation was done by a company that manages our servers for us.

What other advice do I have?

I will definitely recommend this solution, but I obviously don't know other people's environment. I would say that you should write down what your criteria is, what you want, and then do a proper test with all the vendors. Most often people promise you things, and once you start digging into it, it is not there. Like Huawei - many of the functions we needed, they just don't have, so they rely on tools from other vendors to give you that functionality. So I would obviously recommend it as a solution, because I know it works.

In the future I would like to be able to pump data straight into Amazon S3 Bucket. EMC has tools to pump it into the ECS array, and then it's free of charge. But if I pump it into Amazon S3, I have to pay. So, I would like to be able to do it into Amazon, into a different vendor's S3 Bucket, without having the vendor lock-in.

On a scale from one to ten, I rate this solution a 8.5.