Dell EMC NetWorker Review

Great automatization and backup capabilities with good training available from resellers

What is our primary use case?

We use the Dell EMC NetWorker to make backups for our virtual environment. We have about 14 servers and we backup everything using NetWorker.

What is most valuable?

The backup capabilities and the automatization of the backup - along with the potential to make the back up on a virtual machine - are the solution's most valuable aspects.

It's not just about making a backup on a file level. It's about backing up the entire machine all at once that's very useful for us.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be improved. They shouldn't just serve those who speak English. The technical support should be in the national language of the country they are servicing and not only in English due to the fact that it's sometimes difficult for us to explain all the things that are going wrong in an unfamiliar language. It creates a communication barrier and makes getting problems solved harder.

The solution is not easy to administer unless you are very familiar with the product.

The licensing rules are difficult to navigate and understand.

The administrator's interface should be much easier to navigate.

I've been using the solution for four years.

It would be hard to judge the scalability as we have never tried to expand the solution. However, I suspect it may be challenging as the solution has difficult licensing rules.

Technical support is okay, however, they only offer service in English. If you don't speak English, or English is not your first language, you will have issues with communicating.

Before Dell EMC NetWorker we used to use Novell NetWare and the Novell Network and Backup. We needed to switch due to the fact that Novell is no longer available in Europe.

We didn't handle the implementation ourselves. I wouldn't be able to discuss the procedure or if it ultimately was complex or straightforward.

The reseller took about one month to help us internally understand how to work with the solution. We were grateful for the help as the solution is not easy to administer.

We have two people who are responsible for the solution and the backups.

Our reseller handled the initial setup on our behalf. They did a good job. We were satisfied with their level of service.

Licensing rules are very complicated in NetWorker. The license depends on, in one version, the value of the backup data, and, in another, the physical workstation. It changes from version to version.

I do not know other solutions very well. I know of Hewlett Packard's backup solution. That said, I only know NetWorker and Avamar. These two products are from Dell.

What other advice do I have?

We're Dell customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I am the administrator of our Dell EMC NetWorker and I make backups of the servers and also run the solution. We only backup our server. We do not back up a user's workstation. The only backups are made by the administrators.

From my perspective, Dell EMC NetWorker is a good solution to make backups. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I'd rate it higher if the administrator's interface was easier to navigate.

More Dell EMC NetWorker reviews from users