Dell EMC NetWorker Review

A complicated enterprise-level backup solution

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use this solution for file-based backups.

We are a global company. We use NetWorker and other backup products throughout the world. We have a very close and long-term relationship with the EMC Networker and we are not going anywhere. We have roughly 30 to 40 TB of data stored with them.

We use this solution daily.

We have scheduled backups, daily, weekly, and monthly and we use the dashboard as a monitoring tool; if there is a failure, we can reconnect all the operational activity.

I don't directly do the backups, my backup administrator coordinates with EMC regarding all configurations, upgrades, and operational needs.

What is most valuable?

Storage-wise, EMC is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The configuration is too complex. As a backup solution, it's not user-friendly.

I have been using EMC NetWorker since 2014.

Dell EMC NetWorker is stable. We don't have any issues scalability-wise, but configuring and upgrading are complex.

Scaling out is very easy. We have a capacity-based license so we have no issues with the scalability.

I personally don't deal with customer support but due to multiple unsuccessful attempts to upgrade, my administrator is not satisfied.

We are using Microsoft BPM in parallel; it's not an enterprise backup solution, but it is an alternate solution. EMC is a one-vendor solution — that's why we chose it, but it is not a good backup solution, it's a complex solution.

The initial setup is complex. Currently, my team is doing an upgrade and they are having a lot of trouble. They have attempted it multiple times but are still unable to complete the upgrade.

We are located in Pakistan, we have a vendor that supports and guides us. The configuration and upgrades are not simple compared to storage and other uses; it's much more complex.

We have our own team that takes care of all maintenance-related issues.

We're using a capacity-based license. My administrator can take backups as per we have the license. Our license includes support and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, Networker is not a very good product. It's very complex compared to Veeam and other products. In short, we needed a single bundle solution, that's why we chose Networker. Overall, I think Veeam is better.

I don't recommend it because of its complexity and the updates, etc. We don't recommend that anyone uses Networker. We recommend looking into Veeam or another solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Networker a rating of five.

More Dell EMC NetWorker reviews from users
...who compared it with Commvault
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC NetWorker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.