Dell EMC PowerFlex Review

Enables users to attach additional nodes and resources for the applications

What is our primary use case?

At the end of the day, VxFlex is for all applications. We normally do a sizing. Then we usually look at the sizing and design it according to its outcome. It's also about applications. You can see what application requirements are.

What is most valuable?

We're doing a lot of VMware for IT so this solution is really valuable from a VM point of view. We're trying to assist our customers mainly with management because that's what they want. The most important aspects are ease of management, as well as ease of configuration, allowing them to attach additional nodes and resources for the applications.

What needs improvement?

I think there might be some room for improvement when it comes to pricing because although I know how to convert customers, at the end of the day, it's quite expensive. Sometimes your feature architecture is still coming out much cheaper than hardware costs for your infrastructure.

The guys normally say it's all about your management. If you do a feature architecture with VMware or Hypervisor with the management, you still get a lot of attitude from that as well.

We've been using this solution for the past six years.

I think it's stable. If it's properly installed, you shouldn't see any issues or bugs.

It is scalable. Scalability depends on our customer. In South Africa, our enterprise may be 2,000 users, whereas small customers would be 400 to 500 users. What might be considered small to you, is a medium sized customer for us.

From a maintenance point of view, we normally recommend customers to get a three-year warranty for maintenance and support. Then we know that they're covered and that they will get all the latest and greatest firmware. I normally sell additional man hours to assist the customers as well. That is just to assist by doing health checks on a regular basis for them. I normally sell about eight hours. It all depends on the customer's knowledge of the products. It's between eight and sixteen hours a month, where I normally send an engineer on site to do health checks to see if everything's still fine.

I have not interacted with support myself, but our technical engineers have. I have heard from them that the technical support team is good and always helpful.

Our engineers sometimes complain that it's quite complex and incongruent. You need to make sure of a lot of things. There's a lot of pre-planning that you need to do correctly. if you don't have the correct information, then you can have performance issues on your environment.

With one that we installed, the guys found out that some of the networking was not correct. It took us two weeks just to sort that one out from a networking point of view. Normally as soon as you deliver the stuff onto the customer's site and you have all the information, it can be between two to three weeks to deploy. You will get the customer up and running and he can start using it. However, you need to make sure that you have all the information.

I have a team that provides implementation services.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you have all the required information and that you actually do a full assessment before you design or implement a solution. You need to make sure of this so you will get the best possible performance out of the solution. If you don't have the correct information, it's going to take you a bit longer than normal to make sure it's installed correctly and performs in the ultimate areas.

I would rate this as eight out of ten.

More Dell EMC PowerFlex reviews from users