Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe Review

It integrates well with our existing automation and environment

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for SQL database, as it's our primary data tier. We are deploying the main SQL databases for our cloud application on the solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has dramatically cut down the footprint in our data center and reduced the amount of raw disk capacity that we needed to purchase.

The managing and monitoring of PowerMax arrays from a performance, capacity and health checks perspective is really easy. It integrates well with our existing automation  environment and is inline with all Dell EMC's other values and products. As we are moving an application over to it, it has been very fast, efficient, and easy for our teams.

What is most valuable?

• Compression
  • Deduplication

What needs improvement?

The REST API needs improvement. We are a very big automation company, and this would be big for us.

It has been very stable, so far. We have been a VMAX customer for a little awhile, and it is continuing on with the same reputation.

The product is still very new for us, but given what we have heard about it and everything we've seen, it should scale very well and not disrupt us.

The technical support is excellent. We have always had great support.

We're actually not going from VMAX arrays to PowerMax. We're going from Hitachi arrays to PowerMax.

Our performance requirements for this solution were response time and very low latency. We were able to cut our response times in half by implementing this solution.

We were using the Hitachi arrays and wanted something easier to manage. After last year's Tech World and hearing all about the brand new PowerMax array, we knew that it was something we had to really look into. We really liked the compression and deduplication.

The initial setup was very straightforward. We were up and running in no time and immediately serving production applications with it.

We partnered with Data Strategy, who is now Trace3, for our PowerMax implementations. We had a very good experience.

We also considered Hitachi since they were our current vendor.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very strong platform for compression, deduplication, and performance, which makes it tough to compete with.

We use PowerMax as a dedicated Tier 0 for our product.