Dell EMC PowerMax NVMe Review

Integration using the API for Unisphere is pretty amazing

What is our primary use case?

We acquired PowerMax for virtualization with PowerVC, which is the IBM product for virtualization. We're still in the PoC phase. While we initially acquired it for the PowerVC solution, we hope to deploy everything on it once we finish the PoC.

How has it helped my organization?

The data in our environment grows very quickly. Other solutions were a little bit slow, but with the PowerMax, there isn't going to be any negative impact.

What is most valuable?

Unisphere 9 has good functionality compared to version 8 or version 6. PowerMax, with version 9.02, which we installed recently, has some very good features, such as CloudIQ.

The performance is really good.

I also like that there is integration for automation. We are using the API for Unisphere with PowerMax and it's pretty amazing.

The deduplication and the reduction of data are some of the keys we are looking for because our data is growing so fast. We need a solution to minimize the data.

What needs improvement?

The NVMe integration could be improved.

Whether it's the older version of VMAX, or VMAX All Flash, or PowerMax, all these series are pretty amazing in terms of stability. This is electronics, so nothing is 100 percent perfect.

It's pretty expandable.

We haven't used any tech support for this product.

We used the PowerVC solution with VNX but that didn't work very well. We're doing a PoC with PowerMax and it's working very well compared to VNX.

The setup wasn't complex because we have already deployed a number of VMAXs in our environment and they are pretty much the same.

We are buying it directly from Dell EMC.

What other advice do I have?

We did not go with this solution for the consolidation because in the banking environment we have to isolate the various applications. It's a requirement of the business.

I would rate PowerMax at nine out of ten. I have used many different storage systems, all the major VM technologies, but I find that with Dell EMC there are no issues.