Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Review

Good performance, stable, and responsive technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we use the Dell EMC PowerProtect DD to provide service for our clients. It is used to provide backups for VMware environments.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance because you can back up data really quickly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration and support for backing up to cloud providers such as Alibaba Cloud.

In the next release, they need some monitoring, not only of the backup but monitoring of the firmware and the applications.

I have been using this product for one year.

This solution is stable and I would rate the stability a nine out of ten.

It's a scalable product.

I have a team of two that maintains it.

The technical support is okay. We opened a case and the response was good. We did not have any issues.

Previously, we deployed Commvault HyperScale and the Veritas NetBackup Appliance, but the performance is better with Dell EMC PowerProtect DD.

The initial setup was a little bit complex after the initial configuration when we tried to integrate it with the firmware.

It took one week for the deployment, configuration, initializing the backup, and monitoring of the backup for one round.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good backup product and we are happy with the performance.

I would recommend this product to customers. I think that it has better performance than Commvault HyperScale.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) reviews from users
...who compared it with Veritas NetBackup Appliance
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.