Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Review

A secure backup solution that is easy to use and very simple to implement

What is most valuable?

The backup is very secure. The deduplication using EMC is very good. We are able to make systems and handle random cloning. EMC is a very stable solution for making backups.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve its platform, especially backup features like DB2 and other system backups.

They should reduce the CPC cost to customers. The product is becoming very expensive.

In the next release, EMC should support stable level listings at restoration and stable space level in the database. Sometimes if I want to take the stable level restoration, EMC is not available. Only this one part is lacking in the current version.

I've been using the solution for four to five years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is easy to scale. We have nine people on it and they are all system admins. We are planning to increase usage and to increase the license.

Technical support is excellent. I would rate it eight out of ten.

We previously used HP Data Protector. The HP Data Protector backup was not secure. We used to do a backup, but at the time of restoration, it would give us some issues on the restored data.  We were not able to access and stream data on HP. EMC is much easier in terms of restoring the backup properly.

The initial setup is very easy. Any person can handle the initial setup of the solution.

I handled the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate them nine out of ten.

More Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) reviews from users
...who compared it with Veritas NetBackup Appliance
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.