What is most valuable?
Main feature we use is remote (async) data replication, over IP, over a distance approx 300 kms.
How has it helped my organization?
- Data replication with Recoverpoint over a long distance without FC is simple and delivers a cost reduction (ethernet DWDM is cheaper than fiber)
- Our site disaster recovery plan was simplified by scripting the failover procedure.
- Offloading the storage array with replication tasks was very useful to us because in the past our experience with Mirrorview /A icm with high data change rates was sometimes problematic.
What needs improvement?
I am not familiar with improvements in Recoverpoint v4.xx, so I don't know exactly what the latest improvements are.
For how long have I used the solution?
- EMC Recoverpoint/SE
- Software version 3.5 SP1
- Bi-directional data replication between two VNX5500
- Total amount of replicated data 25 TB.
- We've been using it now for about 3 years. (same hardware, some newer software versions)
What was my experience with deployment of the solution?
No, together with EMC support personal we had a good deployment. The sizing was done well, the only puzzle was to set up the consistency groups in the right way and spread them out over the Recoverpoint nodes. In the end this was done by 'trial and error'. But later on we would use the commandline to monitor the loadbalancing.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
No problems at all.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
No, though some CG's (mostly VMWare ESX) are busier than others. Overall performance is good. Each datacenter site consists of two nodes (local cluster).
How are customer service and technical support?
Customer Service: Very good, EMC did support us to implement it well and gave useful instructions/ lessons to help to maintain it well.Technical Support: Excellent
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
Yes, EMC Mirrorview /A and /S. Because of relocation of our datacenters the distance between them increased enormously because of the large distance and the availability of Ethernet only between the sites.
How was the initial setup?
Initial setup was straightforward and data replication did work very quickly. The main puzzle was to seize the replication sets and consistency groups. Our host environment is rather complex. (Open VMS, Linux, AIX, Windows, ESX)
What about the implementation team?
Vendor team, their expertise was excellent.
What was our ROI?
Actually I do not know but due to merging and organizational changes the solution will run for three years total.
What other advice do I have?
My advice is very positive. There is a good plug-in VMWare vCenter for SRM, stretched Windows clusters, local replication feature, granular level in Point In Time Copies.