Dell EMC RecoverPoint Continuous Remote Replication Review

A bit complex in certain IT environments, but in most situations it's a plug and play solution.

What is most valuable?

• Replication over IP and Replication over FC providing CDP - Continuous Data Protection
  • Multi-site Protection is a very useful feature when having more than two Datacenters

How has it helped my organization?

We can replicate Data between Data Centers synchronously or asynchronously. We use it to provide Disaster and Recovery copies and migrate Data between Datacenters.

What needs improvement?

Currently the product does not support cascaded replication, only "Y" replication. For example. It is possible replicate data from 3 locations and keep three copies of data Site A -> Site B and Site A -> Site C, but is not possible replicate the same data keeping three copies of same data from Site A -> Site B and Site B to Site C.

3 years

Deploys works fine in mos situations and environments. When using WAN IP Connections to connect two Recoverpoint Clusters, it requires many firewall rules, but is not a product fault or bug, just a bit complex for the firewall team.

In version 4.1 we needed to disable the new WAN Compression Feature. We opened a case with the vendor due some warning messages. EMC informed us that Recoverpoint 4.1 has a issue addressed on engineering related to new WAN Compression feature.

No, the product is very scalable. I'm able to join new appliance non disruptively and balance the replicated consistency groups into new added appliances..

Very nice

Very experienced support engineers. I rate it very high.

No, I've never used other solutions based on appliance integrated with Storage providing continuous data protection.

May be a bit complex due your IT environment and WAN connections, but in most situations it is a plug and play solution.

Very experienced support engineers. I rate it very well

Product is self-payable. Due data protection provided to IT environment, we can reach very secure operational levels.

Initial investment setup costs about $33K to protect three sites including 5 Storages. Day-to-day costs about $2 due to vendor maintenance contracts.

What other advice do I have?

Look for new available features when product is integrated with EMC VPLEX to provide Metropoint Protection using a Three Datacenter Layout.

More Dell EMC RecoverPoint Continuous Remote Replication reviews from users