Dell EMC RecoverPoint Continuous Remote Replication Review

Enables the rolling back of volume states to a point in time.

How has it helped my organization?

A traditional way of data protection is to perform backups. With a backup solution, we can implement Recovery Point Objectives (RPOs). However, we are not really sure how to reach Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs), especially when those RTOs have minimal values.

With RecoverPoint, we can "instantly mount" an image Point in Time in case of a problem. The RTO was improved, for sure.

What is most valuable?

Continuous Data Protection and Remote Data Protection are the most valuable features:

• Continuous Data Protection: Enables the rolling back of volume states to a point in time within seconds.
  • Remote Data Protection: Permits the replication of environments in a synchronous or asynchronous way with minimal bandwidth consumption.

What needs improvement?

RecoverPoint journals consume a lot of storage to obtain a large RPO.

I have used this product for three years.

We did not encounter any stability issues.

We did not encounter any scalability issues.

We have not called support for three years. The technical documentation is good, so I would give it a rating of 9/10. I am not sure that technical support is perfect.

We used to deploy Oracle Data Guard for replicating Oracle, but RecoverPoint can replicate other environments because it acts on the storage side.

We had an easy setup. Just remember to size your storage well.

I recommend using the CL licensing mode.

Other replication solutions are specific to products (Data Guard for Oracle, VMware replicator for VMware), but RecoverPoint can replicate multiple products.

What other advice do I have?

RecoverPoint acts on a block level and it needs an EMC Splitter to work. If your storage arrays are not EMC, then you need to virtualize your storage via VPLEX before acquiring RecoverPoint.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: EMC Reseller
More Dell EMC RecoverPoint Continuous Remote Replication reviews from users