Dell EMC SC Series Review

Great features, good compression, and relatively inexpensive

What is our primary use case?

We use it for various type of data but mainly for virtual environments.

How has it helped my organization?

With the hybrid storage approach, we can balance between cheap space and good performance.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a wide variety of valuable features. The data progression works quite well. We use a lot the snapshots functionality.

We appreciate the solution offers deduplication and compression as well.

What needs improvement?

I would prefer to have NVME, at least on the back-end and inline deduplication. Anyhow as Dell EMC has announced the new product - Power Store these features will not be available for Compellent.

I've been using the solution for six years.

The solution is very stable.

We have about 60 ongoing operations. As you can imagine, we have had some challenges in the past, but not something that it's more concerning than what might happen when compared to the other storage vendors.

We didn't have a need to replace the controllers. These can be added, however, we didn't replace the controllers in any of the cages. As I understand it, that is something you can do.

The only issue with scaling up is that the pricing gets pretty high. It's not easy to get a discount for a vendor if you want to extend the box. It might be about 1000 Euros for a few terabytes and goes up pretty quickly from there.

The support works very well. We deal with support from different parts of the world including Europe, Asia, and America. There are local support centers in each region. It's easy to engage the support and usually they are very proactive. I have very good feedback for support. We have had some challenges sometimes in a very few amount of cases where the parts were not delivered on time.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's simple and lower models are customer installable.

We do the physical installation for our clients. We handle the initialization of the site. We get access and do the initial configuration where we configure the storage pool, the profile, and whatever is needed there. Then we do a series of tests. Functional tests, such as failover tests, are something we do for our clients during the implementation process.

The solution is not expensive. Initialization is strait forward, not complicated

They have a few features that can be licensed.

What other advice do I have?

THe solution works well for small to medium-sized environment. The storage isn't enterprise-level.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

More Dell EMC SC Series reviews from users