Dell EMC SC Series Review

Helped us consolidate siloed storage, but there were disk failures

What is our primary use case?

We are heavily virtualized and it is used for the storage. It's performing well, we have had no issues to date.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization because before, we had the storage in silos. This solution allowed us to consolidate into a single Compellent system. That helped us to maximize our management greatly.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to replicate. We are running a financial company and it needs to be available 24/7. We can't afford any downtime.

The response time is also great.

What needs improvement?

We've had failures with disks, but no downtime. We were able to change them before they caused a problem.

Three to five years.

It is a stable solution. We haven't had any downtime.

It can scale. We actually added a different chassis to it during the time we were using it.

Technical support was responsive, we got to the right person. We have never had a problem with them.

We were using EqualLogic before we went to the SC Series. We switched because we had them in silos so we needed to consolidate.

When we select a vendor, our most important criteria is that we should be able to depend on their product. Absolutely no failures. Uptime is most important.

I wouldn't say the setup was straightforward. It was complex, but it was manageable at the same time.

The solution is affordable. We bought an entry-level solution and, for the price and the amount of storage that we got, we consider it a deal.

We are a Dell EMC shop, so we always go with Dell EMC and Vmware as we have never been in a situation where we were unable to find a Dell product that suited our requirements perfectly.

What other advice do I have?

If you don't have a SAN infrastructure, this is a great one, a great entry-level SAN to start with.

We are actually moving on to a vSAN. Within the next two months, we won't be using the SC Series anymore and will be migrating away from it to a vSAN. There were no problems with the SC Series, we just wanted to implement a hyperconverged system.

The SC Series performed the functions we needed it to perform.