Dell EMC SC Series Review

Built-in migration capabilities have been very helpful, compression and dedupe are good

What is our primary use case?

We use it as the OS drives for our VMs. Our is a hybrid solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It's good storage product for our C and D drives for the virtualization space.

What is most valuable?

It has good dedupe and compression. Also, the built-in data migration capabilities are pretty good, as is the federation. When we started migrating the workloads from different storage platforms, like NetApp and XtremeIO, it helped us in moving in that direction.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if they could increase the compression and dedupe ratio.

We haven't had any issues with stability so far.

It's scalable.

Technical support is good.

We had XtremeIO for the past three or four years and, prior to that, we had NetApp. I think the SC Series works better. We are pretty happy with it. In terms of performance with mixed workloads, the SC Series is pretty good. We don't see a lot of latency as we saw with NetApp. But I would say XtremeIO and SC are similar in that regard.

Most storage platforms are the same, but when it comes to the performance and dedupe, as I said, those were the main criteria, what we were after when we talked to Dell EMC. The relationship and trust are also very important.

The setup was straightforward. We used Dell EMC Professional Services, and they came in. A company like ours is pretty big, so we use the vendors to come in and install things because we don't want to mess them up. They gave us the development documents, etc., so we're really happy.

The ROI is good.

It is affordable. We need more discount, but it's good. Pricing is more important than improving on dedupe or compression.

We looked at Nimble and NetApp. We went with Dell EMC. We have a good relationship since most of our stuff is on VMware. When Michael Dell bought VMware we said, "Yeah, we should increase our usage," and, of course, we have been using EMC for more than a decade.

What other advice do I have?

Research is important. Understand the product. Just like any other technology you use, research is the most important part.