Dell EMC Unity Review

Provides us with unified block and file storage without control stations and data movers.

How has it helped my organization?

It decreased the amount of time to deploy and we recognized the ROI quicker. The ability to use a single piece of hardware simplifies the overall administration.

What is most valuable?

Unified block and file storage without the need of control stations and data movers. This simplifies administration and deployment and requires less rack space.

What needs improvement?

• Increased flexibility in the GUI to provision storage easier
  • Include cloud-based replication for blocks

We didn’t encounter any stability issues.

We didn’t encounter any scalability issues.

Technical support was pretty good. However, the Dell/EMC merger has been challenging across the board.

We were using EMC VNX. We switched because this was a newer version of an aging technology.

The initial setup was straightforward and easy. It is simple with a single IP. It recognizes arrays without pre-populating with IP addresses.

The price is good for commercial grade storage arrays. Licensing has changed to be more advantageous for users.

We didn’t have any alternatives in mind.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a unified solution for block and file and to be competitive in the all-flash market, this is the product to choose.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are channel partners.