Dell EMC Unity XT Review

I appreciate the performance with flash drives, SAS connections, and the fibre channel.

How has it helped my organization?

We saved money by moving off old storage and we gained extra capacity and speed.

What is most valuable?

• I appreciate the great performance with flash drives, 12Gb SAS connections, and the 16Gb fibre channel.
  • I like the easy management with the new Unisphere management and the HTML5 interface.
  • All this comes with a smaller footprint, with the main unit taking 2U instead of 8U.

What needs improvement?

The storage processors have less port expansion than previous high-end VNX arrays. Data compression is only available in all-flash pools.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

Technical support was good. I can create a case online or have a chat with an EMC support engineer.

We used to deploy EMC VNX. But we needed more speed and capacity.

The initial setup was straightforward. Disk Array Enclosure (DAE) cabling is different than VNX. Otherwise, it is easy.

Licensing is easy since all the software is included.

We evaluated Nimble, NetApp, and Compellent.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend that you purchase five years of maintenance up front. EMC tends to increase maintenance significantly in years four and five.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: EMC Partner
More Dell EMC Unity XT reviews from users