Dell EMC Unity Review

It is a single source of knowledge and repository for all our data

What is most valuable?

• The performance
  • Ease of use

How has it helped my organization?

Before the product went in, we did not have any centralized storage. All our service storage was supported separately. We had multiple machines which added administration and maintenance costs. Whereas now, it is a single source of knowledge and repository for all our data. It has made our lives a lot easier. It also has improved our disaster recovery because we have two of them in place replicating.

What needs improvement?

• The virtual appliance is limited to 4TB in storage. This should be unlimited for paying customers.
  • The front panel is too fiddly to take off and on.
  • The support model would be better within Australia. Support has been great, but onshore support would be minorly beneficial.
  • Troubleshooting LUN replication can be difficult.
  • When making changes to replicated LUNs (Async in our case), perhaps some measures to prevent us making mistakes. (One of our engineers modified the block storage size and it did not follow the proper procedure, and this broke the replication awkwardly. This was the subject of our most recent support ticket.)

We started using it last November, so going on just about 12 months.

No issues. A very stable product. In previous roles, I have also used the earlier models. The VNX Series and EMC do a really good job.

No issues. It has been a year, and at the moment, I am having a schedule of work put together to increase the capacity. It will be a very easy job. A matter of adding extra disks to existing slots. Very easy to do. So, a very scalable product.

I have not personally worked with the tech support, but the engineers who installed it have worked with EMC's support. It has been very good. EMC has at times reached out to us, flagging that they have noticed a problem with some of the array configurations. That level of support has been very good.

No, as there was no central storage solution beforehand. We went to market straight away.

I got professional services in to do the initial installation. If you get the right people to do the installation, they make it a lot easier.

Pay for the training. At least negotiate with EMC to get the training done, because it is a good product and it is even better once you are shown how to use it properly.

I was debating between the Unity 300 and a NetApp Solution. We ended up picking the Unity only because the administration is a lot easier.

Also, I had used the earlier model in the past, and it was recommended by the supplier as well.

What other advice do I have?

It is absolutely a good solution. It does have the ability for expansion into Cloud services, which I would like to use one day, but we have not tried that yet.

3 visitors found this review helpful