Dell EMC Unity Review

They have always met their stated service levels and have never let us down

What is most valuable?

• FAST Cache: The ability for hot blocks to almost instantaneously be served from Flash.
  • FAST VP: Enables us to better utilise the Flash resources that we have.
  • ESRS/CloudIQ: Having the array communicating back to Dell EMC enables me to get faster responses to issues which may arise, like a failed disk.

How has it helped my organization?

The Unity 400 Hybrid has enable us to better utilise our storage resources and make adjustments dynamically without having to shut down our hosts.

What needs improvement?

• Inline deduplication would be nice.
  • Better management of the hosts in Unisphere.

15 months.

Yes, we had an issue in January with a Service Processor rebooting unexpectedly. Dell EMC resolved this quickly with a special build of the OE and a permanent fix was included in the next public release.

No, the Unity 400 hybrid is highly scalable. It adds extra storage or connectivity can be done while it is online.

10 out of 10. One of the most important criteria in our purchasing decisions is the technical support. DELL EMC set the benchmark for us by which all other vendors are compared.

They have always met their stated service levels and have never let us down. They always follow up to make sure everything is OK.

Yes, we had a CX4-480, which had reached the end of its service life.

The setup was extremely straightforward, As long as you follow the initial config guide, your first LUNs can be available in a couple of hours.

Dell EMC is very competitive on its storage pricing, and from our experience, is not only the superior solution, but the best priced.

Yes, we also looked at IBM and NetApp.

What other advice do I have?

The Unity 400 is one of the easiest to manage and the most reliable storage systems that I have managed in my 22 years in IT. Performance-wise it has met or exceeded all our expectations. If you do run into a problem, the support is second to none.

3 visitors found this review helpful