Dell EMC Unity Review

We have had problems with controllers, SPBs, though we have seen speed improvements

What is our primary use case?

It's our production SAN. In terms of performance, I've had a few issues, a lot of error messages that they haven't been able to figure out yet.

I do like to be able, in a DR scenario, to use it to failover if we have to. That was our original use case, but we've actually gotten away from that for now, because it was just too cumbersome to do a failover, a data center failover, using Unity.

How has it helped my organization?

We can get to our applications faster. That's the biggest plus that we've seen with it.

What is most valuable?

The reason we purchased it was for dual data centers. We have one in each data center so that we can have that redundancy, that failover if needed.

Obviously, flash, everything's quicker. We did notice a lot of speed difference.

We actually started out with XtremIO, and we were running our SQL servers off XtremIO, but our application servers couldn't keep up. So now, our application servers are all on flash, SQL Servers are all on XtremIO, and the two work together well.

What needs improvement?

One of the issues we've had is that controllers have crashed several times. Just today I received a message that a dump file was detected. We've had a lot of problems with the storage processor, SPBs. We've actually had them crash. Luckily, nothing went down.

We purchased big enough that we haven't had to worry about scalability yet.

Tech support is knowledgeable. We get the answers when we need them, they get us back up.

Originally we had the EMC VNX, and support was up on it. So it was either going to be: buy support for the VNX or move to Unity. The money came out the same, so our decision was to move to Unity.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the unity at six out of 10 because of the errors that we are receiving.

If I were advising a colleague, right now I'd probably have them move to another solution. There are other flash arrays. They may not have the Dell EMC name, but they are performing just as well at a lower cost point.