Dell EMC Unity Review

Reduced the latency in application and database reads and writes; all-flash just flies

What is our primary use case?

We're running virtual machines and we're using the NAS filer for file shares.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced the latency in application and database reads and writes, which is of benefit to the business.

What is most valuable?

All-flash, it's fast. We have the 650 model which is all-flash, upgraded from VNX. It just flies.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any improvements, other than bringing down the price point. That would help.

It seems rock solid so far.

At this point, we're at the high end. I don't know that we have a lot of room to scale up, but I think it's going to meet our needs for a while.

My colleague did a firmware upgrade recently and that went well. I would say that was a good experience with tech support.

We were running out of disk space, and there was some latency that we wanted to improve on. We had the VNX previously.

When selecting a vendor, the price is always important, but we need a product that supports our business, It's both those factors.

The setup went relatively well. It was straightforward. We got migrated over quickly, so I have been very pleased with all of it.

What other advice do I have?

It's working well for us so far. We haven't had it long enough to have a full-term answer, but I am very pleased with it so far.

In terms of advice to a colleague, if it's a mid-size company that has a similar needs to ours, I think the Unity is a good option.