Dell EMC Unity Review

All-flash performance, Snapshotting, Replication, less management are key for us

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is block and file. It's like a combo device. It has performed well, except for the migration process.

How has it helped my organization?

It requires a lot less management.

What is most valuable?

• All-flash performance
  • Snapshotting capabilities
  • Replication

It's good. It has a lot of good features.

What needs improvement?

I think there are a couple of things on the file side that we're lacking from the VNX world. It would be nice if we got some of those back. I think there are limitations on how many file systems you can back up at a time. Whereas you can do, I believe, eight continuous per data mover on the file side on the VNX, you can only do something like two or four on Unity. If they could step up to that, that would be good.

It was difficult at first. It wasn't very stable. It was crashing a lot. I think we were early adopters and, during the file side of migration, it crashed a number of times.

Scalability is good, although we only have a 400F. I think we missed out on getting the 450, but it seems to be fairly scalable.

Tech support is good. Just like most of the EMC products, there is a knowledgeable staff.

Setup was fairly straightforward, although we had EMC onsite to give us a hand.

What other advice do I have?

The important criteria for us when selecting a vendor are

• relationship
  • quality of product.

I would rate the Unity between seven and eight out of 10. It's not quite at the level of what the VNX was, but it's one of those products that is improving with time.

I would definitely recommend you look at Unity.