Dell EMC Unity Review

It is simple to use and easy to manage. We don't touch it after we set it up.

What is our primary use case?

We use it as block storage for a couple sites.

The performance is fine for what it does. It is flash and spinning media.

How has it helped my organization?

For sites that we use it on, it gives us more flexibility and high availability solutions. It is easier to expand the site, if needed.

It is simple to use and easy to manage. We don't touch it after we set it up. It is not something you constantly have to go in everyday and tweak, which makes it beneficial.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use: The GUI management is very easy to use.
  • The management is easy for us. We rarely touch it now. It just runs.

What needs improvement?

I would like the UI to look better.

Stability is very good. It has been running for over a year now without problems. We haven't had any dropped layers.

The growth is difficult to forecast, but it's easy for the unit to grow when needed. It is very scalable.

The technical support does alright.

We didn't have a solution in place for the size that we needed to have a high availability solution. Dell EMC is our preferred storage provider, so we went out and worked with them to get a solution where we have a cluster environment to VMware and a failover with the other node along with shared storage.

The initial setup was very straightforward. This was not our first SAN array, so I just racked and stacked it, and they gave us the IPs and turned it over to us.

The purchasing has been simple. When you do need storage, you spec it out. Then, you receive a quote back and make a decision from there.

The last purchase was in China, so I was more on the config, less on the purchase side.

The solution should be cheaper.

We evaluated NetApp. We decided on Dell EMC because we are more familiar with them.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Reliability
  • Price.