Dell EMC Unity Review

Good performance for the price point, easier to administer than some of the alternatives

What is our primary use case?

We were looking for an option for an all-flash array with a lower cost than the XTremIO.

How has it helped my organization?

It's easier to administer than some of the alternatives that we had. The teams find it easy to manage. We're a big EMC shop anyway, so for us it was just a lower-tier alternative at a good performance point for the price.

We are leveraging its integration with other applications and there were no significant costs to do so.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance. It's still an all-flash array at a good price point.

What needs improvement?

It needs deduplication. We'd like to have the dedupe capabilities in the Unity.

It's very stable. No issues with it.

It's been acceptable in terms of scalability as well. We've found that it's easy to expand and not too expensive.

Dell EMC, generally, is good from a technical support perspective. We really never have issues.

It's hard to say what our ROI is. We don't do a lot of hard ROI.

The pricing is competitive. We miss some of the feature functionality that we had with the XtremeIOs but it's certainly suitable for the purpose.

What other advice do I have?

Weigh your options. The landscape has changed a lot since we bought it, it's been a couple of years. It's a good product but you will certainly want to survey the landscape.

The most important criteria when choosing a vendor include the longevity of the product, certainly ongoing support as well. I've got a good relationship with Dell EMC, we like the product. If I'm not mistaken it was based on the VNX platform; it's basically an all-flash version. We had some familiarity with it and the all-flash piece was very compelling.

I would rate it at eight out of ten. There are just a few features that we'd like to see at that price point. But generally, it has been pretty stable.