Dell EMC Unity XT Review

All-flash array eliminates overhead of tiering and much of the data structuring overhead

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is block storage for ESX and structured data, SQL Database primarily.

How has it helped my organization?

We have adopted the all-flash array. It eliminates all the overhead of tiering and a lot of the data structuring overhead involved. It gives us a lot of operational efficiencies.

What is most valuable?

Being able to bring those multiple groups into a central solution. From a storage perspective, that is a bit of a challenge.

There are also DR and data protection functions that we found in the new Unity, now that we are stepping up from VNX and other storage appliances, that we've started implementing.

What needs improvement?

The one thing that we would look at would be if they were to expand the file level features, just to give us a balance or a tier between it and Isilon options out there, for unstructured data.

We have never had any problem beyond that which you would assume you might get out of a storage system.

It will scale as much as we want or need. Scalability is not a concern.

We have not had to use tech support often, beyond the normal occasional drive, standard part replacement. The support has been good.

We've been a long time EMC customer. For us, though, it's been a journey of modernization and standardization. We took a couple different storage platforms and then centralized it on the Unity.

When selecting a vendor, from my perspective, I like to come up with the technically best solution possible, and then work retroactively into the price. Then, obviously, the business will make that decision based on price point and other things. But we try not make that one of the deciding factors.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be, if you're looking for this kind of solution, one of the challenges we had was clearly defining the use case. There is a lot of preparation in clearly identifying the workloads that you're going to put on it.

More Dell EMC Unity XT reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, NetApp, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.