Dell EMC Unity XT Review

A High performance and flexible solution that I trust for our customer's data centers

What is our primary use case?

I'm a data center solution architect at Merdasco and based on our customers' needs, we build solutions for them. This product is very flexible, powerful, and suitable for many environments.

Dell EMC Unity OE provides block LUN, VMware Virtual Volumes (VVols), and NAS file system storage access. Multiple, different storage resources can reside in the same storage pool, and multiple storage pools can be configured within the same DPE/DAE array.

How has it helped my organization?

Dell EMC Unity is designed for performance and optimized for efficiency. This product is perfect for small, and mid-range customers who need to pay less, but still, get enterprise-level capabilities.

What is most valuable?

Features Description
All-inclusive All the software needed to store, manage, and protect data included with each array
Efficiency Inline file and block data reduction with up to 5:1 DRR and 85% system efficiency for more usable capacity
Multi-Cloud Built-in support to easily deploy multiple paths to a hybrid cloud world
Multi-protocol SAN and NAS connectivity options enabling storage consolidation
Performance Dual socket CPUs, dual-active controllers, multi-core optimization, NVMe-ready to deliver higher performance and less latency
Rapid Deployment Install and configure in twenty-five minutes to operational productivity
Scalable Up to 8.0 PB raw capacity and up to one thousand drives
Simplicity Lifecycle simplicity from ordering through support
Unified Storage Support for file, block & VMware VVol data inside a single storage pool, reducing complexity and improving flexibility

What needs improvement?

This product needs to have better integration with enterprise backup solutions and archiving devices. Also, it would be improved with better flexibility for replicating with third-party SAN storage products. There are some SAN solutions that help customers to manage their data centers easier than the past.

I've been using this product since 2016 in my customer's data centers.

Small and medium-sized companies can benefit from this product.

Today's mid-range SAN storage is designed with a mixture of some high-end features and enhancement can address new IT demands and EMC Unity XT is also one of them.

If you have access to customers service EMC is one of the best and you could benefit from the knowledge center of EMC and its community

Based on my experiences there are some SAN products, same quality as Dell EMC Unity. and two parameters help to choose witch SAN solution for which company.
First: What are the requirements of the customer?
Second: What are the differences between storage solutions?

The initial setup of this product is very easy and after some steps, everything is ready to start provisioning it for datacenter servers.

I have implemented this solution through the in-house team.

This solution has just released and time can say how it could be valuable and stabe in the customer's area.

This product is suitable for customers who are looking for simplicity and cost-effective SAN storage products

I have compared some similar solutions such as 3par and HDS VSP G Series. Among all the mid-range I have known EMC Unity XT series are designed for new IT requirements such as cloud compatibility, NVME ready, and capacity growth.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good idea to add some features to this storage such as better integration with container-based services.

Dell EMC Unity XT 680F
More Dell EMC Unity XT reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, NetApp, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: June 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.