Dell EMC VPLEX Review

Easy to set up, good deduplication features, and proactive technical support

What is our primary use case?

This is our centralized storage for our applications and data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is deduplication, as we have no duplication in the snapshots.

What needs improvement?

The administration is difficult, so we want to add hyper-converged infrastructure.

I would like to have site-to-site replication capability for applications. This is something that is available in other products and it would make new sites very easy and fast to set up.

I have been working with EMC VPLEX for five years.

This storage system is in constant use and we have found it to be stable.

We have not tried to scale it. There is a team of three of us who manage it.

Over the years, we have been in touch with technical support for upgrades to firmware and other maintenance issues. The support is good, and you don't have to wait long before things get done.

The support is also proactive, where they receive alerts if there are problems detected, and they call us immediately.

Prior to using Dell EMC VPLEX, we used NetApp. Both of these are good products and are very powerful.

The initial setup is easy.

We had a partner of the vendor attend on-site to assist with the implementation. The deployment took about four months and once it was complete, we were able to take care of the administration on our own.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to use HCI. It has more features than the traditional approach, the administration is easier, and the performance is better. Troubleshooting something that is all-in-one will also be easier.

More Dell EMC VPLEX reviews from users