Dell EMC VPLEX Review

Good virtualization and technical support with very good reliability

What is our primary use case?

We only use VPLEX for VMware Cloud or IBM Cloud and some physical servers with Windows, Linux and maybe we have some IEX servers connected to the VPLEX.

What is most valuable?

The best part of the solution is the virtualization layer due to the fact that, for all our pain points, during migration, we use the virtualization with VPLEX.

The solution works well. It's very reliable.

The technical support is good.

What needs improvement?

The price is a problem with EMC due to the fact that it's more expensive than the other vendors. If we want to use VPLEX we need to purchase VPLEX and then we need to purchase VMAX. If we want to replicate we need to purchase another product. While you can do everything with EMC products, you need to purchase one box for each solution. It would be ideal if they had some sort of all-in-one solution, or if they lowered the price on their items.

The solution is reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The stability appears to be decent.

While we do use a lot of Dell EMC products, there is different support on offer for a lot of them. It's not all the same across the board. However, we don't have any issues with it when we use it.

The pricing is expensive and you need to purchases so many EMC items to cover your needs, as not everything is included.

What other advice do I have?

We use a lot of Dell. We have all the products from EMC including VMAX, PowerStore, and Data Domain.

We have connections for our clouds. We have EMC, Hitachi, and IBM due to the fact that we have different VMware Clouds in our data centers. There are two data centers in which we have VMAX and in other data centers, we have Hitachi or Huawei.

In general, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite happy with the product in general.

More Dell EMC VPLEX reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with NetApp OnCommand
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, NetApp, Huawei and others in Storage Management. Updated: September 2021.
535,015 professionals have used our research since 2012.