Dell EMC VxBlock System Review

Very stable, good performance, but needs a single management console, clear process for upgrades and scaling, and better support

What is most valuable?

Its performance is very good.

What needs improvement?

It is a good product, but for us, it is like a black box. We are not really sure about its internal components, and how to do the terminal upgrade, and how to make sure about the security of the device. We understand how it works, but in order to do the upgrades, we have to get help from the company. We cannot do it ourselves. In another model that we had, the internal team could do the upgrade but not in this one. There is no clear process for a new upgrade or update. They should provide a software intelligence tool that has a dashboard where you can see the current firmware, the latest firmware, and the documentation and the process for the upgrade.

For VxBlock, we have different management consoles. There is no single management console that you can use to manage all components inside VxBlock. Their scale up and scale out process is also not clear. Their support is also a little bit slow in responding to the cases.

We have been using this solution for six to eight months.

It is very stable.

It is easy to scale, but we didn't try scaling it.

I don't have much experience with them, but they are a little bit slow in responding to the cases. In Saudi Arabia, the support for Dell EMC is not that good. Their support should be faster.

We have tried hyper-converged infrastructure from Nutanix. I prefer Nutanix because you can scale it very easily. The upgrades and updates are very simple. Their support is also great. We have very good experience with their support.

It is a little bit complex because we are using Epic EMR in our main core application.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Dell EMC VxBlock System a seven out of ten. It is a good product, but their support is not that good. Support is one of the main factors based on which we evaluate a product.

More Dell EMC VxBlock System reviews from users
...who work at a Energy/Utilities Company
...who compared it with HPE ConvergedSystem
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, FlexPod and others in Converged Infrastructure. Updated: September 2021.
536,244 professionals have used our research since 2012.