Dell EMC VxFlex Ready Nodes Review

Single platform for a mix of virtualized and physical workloads

What is our primary use case?

The ideal use case is going to be for an organization that has a mix of virtualized and physical workloads and wants a single platform to manage those on.

I'll add that Dell rebranded this solution, so it's now called the PowerFlex. I know it was VxFlex for a while, but now they're calling it PowerFlex. I just wanted to add that.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is its Lifecycle Management of networking computer storage.

Additionally, it already has the capability to directly connect to VMware cloud on AWS. It is definitely cloud ready.

Dell EMC VxFlex Ready Nodes can support what we call a heterogeneous environment. So you can have VMware workloads, Hyper-V workloads, bare metal Red Hat workloads, Kubernetes workloads all on the same cluster. You're not pigeonholed into either all bare metal or all virtualized. So it supports basically any platform.

What needs improvement?

From a technical perspective, it's a pretty rock solid solution. I would say the only area for improvement is around its price.

I have been using Dell EMC VxFlex Ready Nodes for five years.

In terms of stability, it is best in class.

In terms of scalability, you can scale up to 1000's of nodes.

It only takes two people to run it depending on how complex their applications are, but their hardware itself only takes one or two people.

I've heard the technical support is pretty good. They have a dedicated team. It's not like a general support pool. So if you've got Powerflex, there's a dedicated Powerflex support team. I've heard good things about that.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward. The whole solution can actually be delivered on site pretty racked and pre-configured.

In terms of price, it's one architecture. You can go anywhere from four nodes all the way up to 250 nodes, but it's all Powerflex, there is not a Powerflex optimum or a Powerflex balance. There are not differentiated models like that.

For the basic four nodes, the least the price is going to be is around 800,000. But it depends on the support. If you get three years of support, it's probably 600,00 and five years of support, closer to 800,000.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is ideal for commercial to enterprise customers looking for a single platform to manage all their different applications.

On a scale of one to ten, I would probably give it a 10, just because of its reliability, ease of management, and flexibility with so many different application platforms.

Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, VMware and others in Hyper-Converged (HCI). Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.