Dell EMC XtremIO Flash Review

What is most valuable?

Compression and de-duplication are the most valuable features, especially when compared to other All-flash arrays like Solidfire, Violin Memory or Pure Storage.

How has it helped my organization?

Overall space usage has decreased, plus input/output operations per second (IOPS). Performance has increased exponentially.

What needs improvement?

The replication and DR capabilities could be improved, since there is no native replication technique with XtremIO. EMC wants customers to rely on EMC RecoverPoint for those needs or VPLEX for DR sorts. Native replication is needed.

I have used it for 3 years.

I did not encounter any stability issues, it is very user friendly and easy to use.

Scalability was non-hazardous and even online.

Technical support was exemplary with a very fast response time by Dell EMC.

We used to employ high-end and mid-range products from multiple vendors like EMC and NetApp before we switched to XtremIO for good performance and space economical-ability.

Initial setup of this product following stacking and racking servers is straightforward. The product is not complex in its modus-operandi and you have the bonus of sources and support availability.

Pricing is definitely on the higher side and licensing plus maintenance can come as a package. I recommend this as a good negotiation technique with EMC.

We first evaluated and selected VIMM (NVRAM chip) arrays which were faster than XtremIO but costlier. We then looked at new players like Nutanix, and even ScaleIO. But in the end, XtremIO turned out to be cost-effective and at the same time worth spending for the change.

What other advice do I have?

Be it XtremIO or anything else, you need to see that requirements are aligned with the following:

- Data Centre space and cost.
- Storage growth trend and capacity forecast.
- Application performance and requirements.
- Operational readiness and implementation timelines.