Dell EMC XtremIO Flash Review

The deduplication and snapshot copies are valuable.

What is most valuable?

• Dedupe, because we achieve 3.5X space savings with XtremIO
  • Snapshot copies
  • Ease of use
  • Improvement in storage efficiency without compromising on performance

How has it helped my organization?

We have just used the product in a proof of concept test and we are yet to move it into production.

What needs improvement?

Integration with other EMC SAN storage array ecosystems like VMAX3, Unity, etc., especially for consistency group protection: This will help to consistently recover applications which are spread across multiple product lines like VMAX3 and XtremIO for various reasons.

I could give an example of SQL DB hosted in EMC VMAX array with SRDF replication to a remote site for disaster recovery.

If we have to move part of the volumes (like TempDB, Indexes,logs. Etc) into XtremIO and part remains in VMAX, the whole server won’t be able to able to get recovered with consistent point in time of recovery due to different replication technologies in 2 different platforms (VMAX and XtremIO).

I meant to say that it may be perfect for other environments but not for environments which are heavily dependent upon SRDF based replication. There might be ways to get around like implementing Recoverpoint for VMAX and XtremIO but the integration was complex in our use case.

I have been using the product for one year.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

The technical support is good.

We did not use any other solution beforehand.

The initial setup was straightforward with a very simple-to-use interface.

All the software-inclusive licensing simplifies the cost model.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Mileages vary, so please test the dedupe rate and performance metrics you are achieving for your workload, before implementing in production.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a strategic business partner.