Dell EMC XtremIO Flash Review

Some of the valuable features are inline deduplication and the snapshot capability. The physical architecture could use some higher levels of redundancy.

How has it helped my organization?

This product was the best fit for our 5000+ active VDI environment. It also works well with database use cases.

What is most valuable?

The speed is extremely valuable. It is blazing fast. The inline deduplication is amazing and the snapshot capability is very useful.

What needs improvement?

• The physical architecture could use some higher levels of redundancy.
  • The past upgrades were highly impactful to active workloads.
  • Previous levels were also susceptible to security vulnerability scanning.

There were stability issues with upgrades and general protection against data center power outages.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

I never had any issues with support on the storage array.

We never ran VDI on any other storage platform, although we did have any other options available: NetApp, 7-Mode/cDOT, VMAX.

The racking and initial setup was performed by EMC services. This is the normal case for this product. The first two setups were not installed properly. However, the other five installations were perfect.

I was not active in this portion of the product deployment.

I never saw any active workloads on other products.

What other advice do I have?

I would make sure you do not put all your eggs in one basket on this hardware.

I would make sure updates have an extended down window and are prepared for the array to not service I/O during these updates as a worst case scenario.

It deduplicates well, but I would not run a database and the log files on the same array, to be safe.