Dell EMC XtremIO Flash Review
We can perform data warehousing and see performance stats.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to the XtremIO, we just could not perform the data warehousing activities that enable our company to achieve business objectives necessary for being in the ultra-competitive insurance provider world.

The acquisition of XtremIO for our data warehouse was easy to configure and set up. XtremIO is so easy to manage. It hasn't taken away from our ability to support the remainder of our existing environment.

Additionally, we use an XtremIO cluster for VDI. Again, the speed with which we are able to provide VDI enables a complete company-wide VDI rollout!!

What is most valuable?

Ease of management, aside from the serious performance, is the best feature. We can set it and forget it. We can quickly see performance stats in case there is ever any question.

What needs improvement?

The upgrade ability seems to have improved. I believe having more replication options comparatively to VMAX (other than RecoverPoint) would be great. Maybe something like SRDF (which is symm only replication, but something like this).

We have not had stability issues with either environment (DataWarehouse or VDI). It has been rock solid.

We did have some initial issues, given the 3.x version we were on. We ended up migrating from 10TB bricks to a 20TB brick cluster when we upgraded.

Customer support, when we have needed it, has been OK. We recently had some volume configuration issues related to VMware ESXi 5.5 and it took entirely too long (over eight hours) to get us back going.

It seemed that it was not because of XtremIO (or VMware for that matter). They were on the bridge call together, and didn't offer much of a solution.

We were using Nimble Storage and HPE and had just purchased EMC Symmetrix VMAX 10k.

We just received a new system which was extremely simple to install. Professional services performed the install, but we helped.

It's not cheap, but it absolutely gets the job done. I don't have any real comment regarding licensing specifically.

We evaluated Nimble Storage and NetApp solutions, but nothing compared.

What other advice do I have?

Do an on-premise PoC to see how simple it is and test the performance.

Run through a Mitrend data analysis if you want an understanding of deduplication rates for the mileage you will get out of it.

You can run it to 100%. However, why would you want to risk of hitting the wall if you run out of storage?!

Free Quote

We will send you a quote typically within one business day.