Dell EMC XtremIO Flash Review

Very easy to use in terms of administrative tasks on the GUI

How has it helped my organization?

We used the product for our internal customers (Banking). The performance really improved for the end users with reduced costs.

What is most valuable?

It has very good performance for an application which needs lower latency and a better response, for example, in microseconds. It's very easy to use in terms of administrative tasks on the GUI.

What needs improvement?

At times, it's difficult to track down allocated resources as compared to other solutions, like VMAX and VNX, because it's completely software-based.

The GUI could be modified more in terms of how the different components are linked to each other.

Yes, we had issues with data corruption on one of the X-Bricks. The issue propagated to other X-Bricks as well.

No, in terms of scalability, we didn't encounter issues. It was very easy to add X-Bricks to the system.

Technical support was great in terms of first response and further troubleshooting assistance.

Yes, we were using a VMAX solution before. This product was incorporated in order to get better performance at a reduced cost for our internal customers.

I was not involved with the initial setup phase. My role was more focused towards administrative and implementation tasks after the product was installed.

Again, both the pricing and licensing were handled by another group. So, I can't comment on it.

Yes, there were multiple options evaluated and also incorporated for some percentage of the workload, like NetApp C-mode array. Specifically, XtremIO was considered for Xtreme Performance as advertised by vendors at a lower cost as compared to existing storage arrays, like VMAX and VNX.

What other advice do I have?

It's very good in terms of performance and the ease of use of its GUI. However, we had issues at the data corruption level, which resulted in multiple X-Brick failures. It's a big question for the stability and availability when we have enterprise level customers on such an Xtreme Performance array.