Dell EMC XtremIO Flash Review

It can handle big workloads and has good performance

What is most valuable?

What I like about this solution, is that it is really fast and it's really good in compression. So you can put a lot of data in line on it. I've used it for cases like VDI in a healthcare environment because we use multiple copies of it. It is very good and has very good performance. It can handle big workloads.

What needs improvement?

What needs to improve is that the end compression uses a lot of CPU, which makes it difficult or impossible to upgrade. I believe that it has improved in the upgraded versions, which we don't have yet. Also, the price and interface should be simplified too.

I've been using the solution for the past three years on premises.

The program is very stable.

We had some difficulty when we tried to expand our XtremIO because it had to be done in a certain way and only EMC personnel were allowed to do it. That wasn't very flexible. But it seems to be better in the new version. Scalability is always a problem.

The technical team is good.

We previously used another EMC program, but it was not flash only, so that's why we switched to this solution. It possible to buy an all-flash system and, based on the compression features, we changed to this unit.

We were not allowed to do the initial setup ourselves. So it was done by EMC personnel and maybe that could be improved so that our partner, our supplier, could do it themselves so that you don't need an EMC rep to perform the installation.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to test it first to see the expected ratios. Do a check to see if they deliver what they promise. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten. To make it a perfect ten, I would like to see better scalability.