Dell EMC XtremIO Flash Review

A solution with good stability, excellent scalability and an ability to increase overall performance

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily in the banking system.

What is most valuable?

It's a great solution. We have 100% high availability and 100% business continuity. All our banking is All-Flash behind the VPLEX.

We've seen great enhancements from the performance point of view. There's good availability, stability, and continuity, but the performance actually has increased by 60 or 70%.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to be simplified. When you integrate your storage with other systems, it could use a little bit of automation.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The stability of the solution is very good. It may even be the best of the best if you compare it to the competition.

The scalability is very good. We can easily upgrade and move from one generation to another.

Technical support is very good. It's one of the best vendors for support.

The initial setup was straightforward.

How long deployment takes depends on the platform. For example, on VMAX All-Flash, the initial configuration, and the provisioning took about three or four days. We were executing the hard work, including laying the cables, and all the break and fix stuff.

We had a consultant assist with the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

We've used multiple versions of the solution. We started with a legacy version from the VMAX 40K and then we went to the VMAX All-Flash 450FX. Currently, we are planning also to use PowerMax 8000. We use the on-premises deployment model. We don't deal with any cloud models.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten. I'm talking from the banking sector point of view. The banking sector is a more critical system. You have to keep your system up all day, all week, and you can not lose even a bit of transaction even for a millisecond or microsecond because you'll lose money. From my point of view, it's great, it's not like any other solution.